Issues with Latest Version over PXE [solved]

Questions related to network booting via PXE
volrathxp

Issues with Latest Version over PXE [solved]

Postby volrathxp » 22 Sep 2015, 15:29

Hello,

I use System Rescue CD via PXE with Dell PowerEdge application servers as a way to load the systems with application images. I use this because the autorun functionality is very easy to use and its the only Live distribution I've been able to find that has a good autorun capability. Until recently, I had been using System Rescue CD Version 4.0.0, and had no issues. However, I now have a Dell PowerEdge R430 system and the 4.0.0 version does not see the hard drives in it. I upgraded my files to SysResc 4.6.0, which does see the hard drives. However, now I cannot perform basic tasks such as ping or mount anything (NFS, CIFS) from the SysResc shell. I get input/output errors when doing so, and even get the same errors when trying to issue the shutdown/reboot command.

I tailed the messages log and found that there were SQUASHFS errors listed.

I downgraded to version 4.5.4, and I was able to use ping, but was still unable to mount anything.

I'm booting using PXELinux, and it never had any issues before upgrading from 4.0.0 to the later version.

Code: Select all

label sysresc
menu label System Rescue CD Boot
kernel Linux/sysresc/rescue64
append dodhcp initrd=Linux/sysresc/initram.igz doload=broadcom,tg3 vga=1 setkmap=us netboot=nfs://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:/linux64/sysresc

At this point, I'm not really sure what to do. I'm in the process of downloading 4.5.3 to see if it is any better.

gernot

Re: Issues with Latest Version over PXE

Postby gernot » 22 Sep 2015, 15:54

Which error get you?
Try to load sysrcd.dat via http or mount it via NBD..

Gernot

volrathxp

Postby volrathxp » 22 Sep 2015, 16:04

gernot wrote:Which error get you?
Try to load sysrcd.dat via http or mount it via NBD..

Gernot

I was receiving errors about the SQUASHFS filesystem. I will copy them down, but I will try HTTP. I'm not sure I can do NBD, the PXE server in question is Windows 2008 (because we support WDS and Linux).

volrathxp

Postby volrathxp » 22 Sep 2015, 16:25

Attempting to do HTTP, and it starts to download and then just goes to "stalled" and does nothing else.

4.5.3 won't even boot over NFS, it dies after autorun script initialization and says "No more processes for this runlevel"

The errors I'm seeing in /var/log/messages are:

Code: Select all

sysresccd kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry (90b07e6)
sysresccd kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 90b07e6, size 12db4

It repeats this pretty much over and over. Again, I find it weird that SysResc 4.0.0 works just fine, the only caveat that is that it won't see the hard drives on this particular unit.

gernot

Postby gernot » 22 Sep 2015, 17:07

There are other posts about this HTTP problem.

Looks for me like a Network configuration problem.
Can you try NFS with docache option and check that the network stay stable for some time?

You can also check the configfiles with the minishell bootoption

Gernot

p.s. is it the same problem with alternate Kernel?

volrathxp

Postby volrathxp » 22 Sep 2015, 17:34

Highly strange. If I change the boot options to hard-code an IP address instead of using DHCP, things seem to work properly. Odd, but I will take it.

Thanks!

Return to “Network Boot via PXE”