pxe xp install using tftpd32 help needed

Questions related to network booting via PXE
nufclad147

pxe xp install using tftpd32 help needed

Postby nufclad147 » 27 Feb 2012, 23:21

I have been doing some reading on how to install operating systems over lan due to the fact the note book i have acquired (saved from the bin) recovery partition is erased an boots up to 30 day expiry warning I really want to put my Xp on it fresh install it has no cd rom nor does it have the option to boot from usb device or i would have simply I say simply done a flash drive install, having prepped my usb pen ready only to find out the notebook does not support usb booting.The client and offending notebook Medion 2080 CPU 1500 mhz ddr2 1 gig via network card
iam using the following system as server to deliver the xp to the notebook AMD 1.8mhz foxcom board 8ogig ide-hdd 1.2 gig ddr and XP pro service pack3

I have managed to set up tftpd32 to communicate with the note book with the server as i see barts network disc options screen to format a partition however there is a ext dos partition that refuses to delete using 42% space everytime i try option 3 delete, then delete ext dos partition im told it can not be deleted
If I select 1 - it says "Cannot Delete Primary DOS Partition on drive 1 when an Extended DOS Partition exists"
If I select 2 - it says "Cannot delete Extended DOS Partition while logical drive exist"
If I select 3 - it says "No logical drives defined All logical drives deleted in the Extended DOS Partition"
If I select 4 - it says "No Non-DOS Partition to delete" it tells me there is none.

I have read that this can be cause by say linux been installed on a partition but i really do doubt this is the case with ths note book however im not 100% but would like to erase it again my only option is over pxe lan.
I have managed to fdisk delete the primary that was there an format selecting clean boot option 4 of bart startup disk then change the Q cursor to C type c:/fdisk command but this not what tutorial asked me and i had to sway off course to what the tutorial asks because any other option I try at the bart network start up options screen 1,2 or 3 i get network driver failed to load msnet abort an then flashing Q:/_ cursor yet i know the notebooks lan driver works because id not even got this far. So im really confused at my effords are at a halt at this phase an only way i see the firmiluar windows partition mamager is option 4 clean boot.

i do as the tutorial says below.

boot the notebook to PXE
Select Bart network Disk again
when i select bart network disk i faced with a new menu an 4 options
1 boot with emm386 (most compatible)
2 boot with emm386 (max memeory)
3 boot without 386
4 clean boot

I press option 1 an follow the instructions Accept defaults up until “Identification Settings”, tab accross till you
come to the lmhosts option
pless the spacebar to enable it, then go to Ok.In the blank file that opens up type the
ip of your server, followed by tab and its host name

I follow this to the letter but then get error 7321 network driver failed to load msnet abort this happens no matter what i choose auto detect network adapter or promt in the bart startup disk options when promt is choosen i have a list of about 15 network card drivers to choose from, when i highlight 1 an press enter as asked it just stays on the driver selection screen untill the timer runs an reports the error 7321 network driver failed to load message again.

Another thing im unsure about if i ever get to this stage 1 tutorial for ftpd32 asks to make an iso of the xp disk placed it in a shared folder with the smartdrv file yet the tutorial for tftpd32 4.00 im presenlty workings with asks to copy the entire I386 folder into a folder directory shared with the smartdrv file....so im little confused to which of the 2 options iso of disk or copy of entire I386 folder for now i have both options shared if i ever get that for. Im beginning to think its going to be easier to buy a lappie to desktop ide cradle an swipe an install this way

Im open to trying other programs or tutorials but im really stuck to using xp as server as i dont ave server2000 and dont fanci prospect of installing linux on me spare pc every time i wish to pxe install the notebook
any help would be most welcome

gernot

Re: pxe xp install using tftpd32 help needed

Postby gernot » 28 Feb 2012, 05:29

its hard to help, because i dont know your BART setup.

About the 30 day warning. Cant you activate the system via MS?
There are also tools to replace a registration key with your own.

If this fails you can use sysrcd to change the partition set,
then install win on a other PC move it via network to the netbook and activate it there.

Easy solution is to boot from a USB-CDrom. All netbooks support this

Gernot

nufclad147

Postby nufclad147 » 28 Feb 2012, 19:45

i have deleted the primary partition so the xp an its activation is no longer there if i try to boot now i get invalid operating system none system disc message now but of the 40gig drive 48% is this ext dos partition that refuses to move. I have 4 options in boot bios order cd rom , hhd, removable drive, pxe, I had in past readied a usb flash drive for a flash drive install but setting boot order to cd rom or removable drive it dont find the usb device.

gernot

Postby gernot » 28 Feb 2012, 21:05

How are your linux knowledge? You can pxe-boot sysresccd and fix the harddisk.
I dont know how to install win via BART.

If all fail install the harddisk in an PC with CD-ROM and reinstall it before
the fresh created system boots.

Gernot

nufclad147

Postby nufclad147 » 29 Feb 2012, 04:58

iam not to fussed about the 48% ext none dos partion on the hdd i have fdisk & formatted 52% primary partition that iim trying to install xp upon but not getting any futher forward. What confuses me is when i boot the notebook PXE it tells me on boot screen the the Via Rhine II ethernet adapter v2.38 2004/09/14 then i get the DHCP spinning curser the bart start up screen appear so my lan must be working and configured ftpd32 correct as tutorial asks. However i simply cannot get to the next stage because im met with the on screen message after selecting any of the the options 3 options option 4 clean boot just produces a blinking curser which i typed c: then fdisk command to delete the primary an create an format c: however this is off the path the tutorial lays out. when i follow the tutorial to the letter

xms ramdisk v1,81 fu-08/98 installed as drive Q
autoexec copying some files to ramdisk
1file copied
1 file copied
unpack extracting a:\level0\utils.cab
unpack extracting a:\level1\dos.cab
unpack extracting a:\level1\doskey.cab
doskey installed
unpack extracting a:\level2\help.cab
help installed type help at command prompt
unpack extracting a:\level2\mouse.cab
cutemouse v1.8 freedos
installed at ps\2 port
unpack extracting a:\level3\msnet.cab
msnet starting version2.7
unpack extracting a:\lib\msclient.cab
msnet usig prebuilt driver index from drive a
1 file copied
1 file copied
msnet pci network adapter detection
msnet pci detection has not found a listed pci adapter switching to manual
press any key to continue

when i press any key im faced with a screen an list of network adapters none of which work

i just get msnet aborted error unable to find pci network adapter an blinking Q cursor
below it the tutorial laid out i will underline an space at the section i come stuck at

Install Windows XP with PXE
1 Create a shared folder--for example at c:\windowsinstall--then copy the entire i386 folder from the Windows XP CD and SMARTDRV.EXE to this folder.
2 Write down your computer name found by right-clicking "My Computer," then clicking "Properties" and clicking the "Computer Name" tab.
3 Create a folder to boot PXE from; for example, c:\output. This folder is essential.
4 Download and install TFTPD, then create a folder in c:\output called "pxelinux.cfg." Download pxelinux.0, memdisk menu.c32, and bartdisk.IMA into c:\output. Create a text file named default in c:\output \pxelinux.cfg\ containing the following:
DEFAULT menu.c32
TIMEOUT 300
ALLOWOPTIONS 0
PROMPT 0
MENU TITLE PXE Boot System
LABEL BartBoot
MENU LABEL ^Bart Network Disk
kernel memdisk
append initrd=bartdisk.IMA
LABEL BootNormal
MENU LABEL ^Boot Normal
LOCALBOOT 0
5 Run TFTPD, set the current directory to c:\output, and set the server interface to 192.168.2.100. Go to the DHCP Server tab and configure your network setup. Type "pxelinux.0" as the boot file. Save your configuration.
6 Configure the computer you wish to boot from PXE to boot from the Bart Network Disk
by entering the BIOS and setting the boot priority so that it looks for a bootable network
first. Accept all the default options once booted.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
if i accept default settings i get the just get msnet aborted error unable to find pci network adapter an blinking Q cursor however at this point i change the Q to C: an can fdisk an format drive
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

7 Change directories by typing "c:" then "fdisk." Choose the third option and delete any previous partitions. Then, choose the option 1 to create a new partition, and choose option 1 once more to create a primary DOS partition. Enter the size of the drive in megabytes, then choose option 2, making the partition active.
8 Select your partition number, then press "Esc" to exit fdisk. Restart the computer and boot from the Bart Network Disk again. Leave everything at its default setting

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
it dont matter if i select auto prompt or mannual settings for lan detect setting as once again at this point im faced with the screen listing approz 15 Ethernet adapters However to get by this screen i select one of the adapters on screen an move onto stage 8
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

8 Select your partition number, then press "Esc" to exit fdisk. Restart the computer and boot from the Bart Network Disk again. Leave everything at its default setting until you come to "Identification Settings." Using Tab, select "lmhosts," then enable it with the spacebar. Go to "OK."
9 Enter the IP address of your server, then press tab once and enter your computer name. Save the file and quit by simultaneously pressing the "Alt" and "X" keys.
10 Press "Enter" to continue through the rest of the questions, accepting their default values.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
if i accept default settings i get msnet aborted error unable to find pci network adapter or board error or some other error dependng which of the 15 or so adapters on screen i choose at random an blinking Q cursor.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Enter the command "format c:/Q" once you get to the command prompt. Once the format is complete Enter the command "net use x:\\YOUR-COMPUTER-NAME\windowsinstall" . Replace YOUR-COMPUTER-NAME with the computer name you wrote down in Step 2.

11 Change directories by typing "x:" then "SMARTDRV.EXE." Change directories again by typing "cd i386," then type "winnt" to copy the files from the shared folder onto the hard drive, beginning the Windows install. Proceed through the Windows XP install as normal.

Considering i have a formatted c drive i tried the net use x:\\YOUR-COMPUTER-NAME\windowsinstall" . Replace YOUR-COMPUTER-NAME with the computer name you wrote down in Step 2. command but im just getting unknow command message. Im jut about to give up an try find a friend who let me attach this hdd to ther laptop with cdrom in hope i can get round things that way.

is there any other programmes that will allow a xp based server to pxe xp install to this bloody notebook :(
Last edited by nufclad147 on 29 Feb 2012, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

gernot

Postby gernot » 29 Feb 2012, 05:24

nufclad147 wrote:i just get msnet aborted error unable to find pci network adapter an blinking Q cursor
below it the tutorial laid out i will underline an space at the section i come stuck at

This is the problem. The PXE boot use its own network driver. After this the booted system has to use its own.
I think your booted system don't have the driver.

Have you an PCMCIA or Cardbus network adapter ?

Gernot

nufclad147

Postby nufclad147 » 29 Feb 2012, 05:32

i can not think of a means or method in which to discover this information an i thort i was clued up to computers

gernot

Postby gernot » 29 Feb 2012, 05:39

I think this is mistakable. A cardbus adapter is a user extension slot in the notebook. You can insert a network card with common chipset.

Other idea: copy the windows CD to an USB stick and acces it without network from your PXE booted system.

Gernot

nufclad147

Postby nufclad147 » 29 Feb 2012, 06:01

it has a on board Ethernet female hole on side of note book to plug a Ethernet cable it also has wirless.
when you say " copy the windows CD to an USB stick and access it without network from your PXE booted system."

Are you saying that i can place the usb stick into pc1 turn pc2 on which is the notebook an gain communication to pc 1 usb device or cd i understood this was only possible if the notebook booted to desktop but at present there is now no operating system to boot

gernot

Postby gernot » 29 Feb 2012, 15:47

nufclad147 wrote:Are you saying that i can place the usb stick into pc1 turn pc2 on which is the notebook an gain communication to pc 1 usb device or cd
No,
1. use PC1 to write CD content to a usbstick.

2. Boot PC2 via network
3. plug the stick in PC2 and access the stick content.

Gernot

Return to “Network Boot via PXE”