USB stick won't boot

Post in this forum for problems at boot time, if there was no problem for burning the disc. For example can't find the CD, or strange errors when you press enter at the very first prompt.
ajax

USB stick won't boot

Post by ajax » 31 Jan 2019, 19:08

This is about version 5.3.2 of System Rescue CD. I downloaded the ISO and burned the CD. Even though I haven't yet done much of anything with it the CD boots up normally. Then I followed the procedure described here for making a USB drive by using Method D which is done using the booted CD. That procedure seemed to work correctly.

However, when I try to boot from the resulting USB drive it immediately produces an error message which says "Failed to load COM32 file vesamenu.c32". That file exists within the directory "/syslinux".

What's wrong?

gernot

Re: USB stick won't boot

Post by gernot » 02 Feb 2019, 11:02

Check the grub config file.
may be it points to /isolinux.

Gernot

ajax

Post by ajax » 02 Feb 2019, 17:03

Well now I became a bit impatient and went ahead and tried one of the other methods for installing it on a boot-able USB device. As a result I no longer have the failing device which means I can't meaning fully check grub.cfg. However, when checking the CD, that seems to work fine, I notice that there is NO directory named "/syslinux" but there is one named "/isolinux". Likewise, for the newly created, using Rufus on Windows, USB version which does solve the boot problem. I really think "/syslinux" is what I found on the failing device but I am capable of making such mistakes. Is it possibly that I was correct? Might this indicate that preparation of the failing USB device was not properly completed?

In any event, I now have another problem that I suspect pertains to the computer rather than System Rescue CD. Possibly I should post something to a different category than "Boot problems". If someone has a good suggestion please advise.

The new problem is that the GUI fails. In that, startx (i.e., X11) fails. However, this is only on a new computer that I just bought and have little experience using. Both the USB & CD now run fine on my older computers, both Windows and Linux based, but they both fail in the same manner on the new one. My suspicion is that there may be some BIOS setting/s that are incompatible with System Rescue CD.

I'll be reviewing the published documentation to see if I can find something but if someone either knows the answer or where I should be looking a reply to that effect would be appreciated.

ajax

Post by ajax » 06 Feb 2019, 16:42

Curiously, I changed a BIOS (UEFI type) setting called General>Advanced Boor Option>Enable Legacy Option to ON for an unrelated reason. However, after that the startx command did successfully launch the GUI. I can't explain why. It certainly doesn't jump out as something that would have such effect. Take it for whatever it might be worth.