Boot existing linux OS: cannot find a valid root filesystem

Post in this forum for problems at boot time, if there was no problem for burning the disc. For example can't find the CD, or strange errors when you press enter at the very first prompt.
bert

Boot existing linux OS: cannot find a valid root filesystem

Postby bert » 16 Jul 2016, 10:44

Hello,

first, FORGIVE ME FOR MY POOR ENGLISH!

Well, I'm a fan od SysRescueCD, and it works all the way, but there's an issue I'm not able to resolve...

When I try to boot my Debian from System Rescue CD using the menu option "Boot From Existing Linux operating system", it starts to detect the partition (they are all shown in this passage), it tries to boot 4 o 5 time, but at the end of the process it returns the following message

"cannot find a valid root filesystem (partition having /sbin/init)".

It happens both with Debian 8.5 64 bit and Ubuntu 16.04 32 bit (on two different PCs) and they work like a charm (Ubuntu is a fresh install) and during the failing process, the terminal show the partition SysRescueCD is detecting.

What's wrong? I tried to find similar issues on google but I couldn't find anything useful.

Can anybody help me? Thank you! :-)

gernot

Re: Boot existing linux OS: cannot find a valid root filesys

Postby gernot » 16 Jul 2016, 16:02

This function try to boot a existing system with the sysrcd kernel.
If you have a separate boot partition or a unusual filesystem it fails.
You can boot with the minishell option to trace the problem.

I use supergrubdisk (SGD) which is as floppyimage on sysresccd to boot the system.

Gernot

bert

Re: Boot existing linux OS: cannot find a valid root filesys

Postby bert » 18 Jul 2016, 10:33

Hello!

Thank you for your reply... I use Supergrub too, but I don't understand why my OS can't boot via main menu option.

Here is a screenshot of my disk... You will see sda4 instead of sda1 because I reinstalled it some times ago, keeping the data partition.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4BY1h ... sp=sharing

My OS is working... I'm just trying to test some Sys Rescue CD options...

I don't understand where is the problem.

P.S. My Ubuntu is just the same but without a data partition: it's fresh install in the standard way.

Thank you!

Bert

Return to “Boot problems”