4.7.3 fails to boot with ASM1062 (SATA) PCIe card

Post in this forum for problems at boot time, if there was no problem for burning the disc. For example can't find the CD, or strange errors when you press enter at the very first prompt.
zarniwhoop

4.7.3 fails to boot with ASM1062 (SATA) PCIe card

Postby zarniwhoop » 13 Jul 2016, 22:47

Hi, sorry this is long.

I was building a new machine last week, using an i3 Skylake. To start with, I put a single drive in and booted successfully using the alternate kernel (64-bit). I then successfully used scp to partition, copy over a backup of the old system, and chroot to install grub. After that I booted it and built a new linuxfromscratch system.

But when I bought the machine I had what we on the old lfs-testers list used to call a brainfart - it is my new server, so it needs at least 4 drives for what I'm doing. This one has lots of space in the case, but only 4 SATA ports. So, I put an ASMedia ASM1062 (twin SATA) card in the PCIe slot and eventually moved both the CD and one of my RAID-1 drives to that.

All was good, but my initial build needed some things changing for a standalone server (it had been reading source tarballs etc over nfs from the old server, its hostname and IP address needed to be changed, postfix needed alteration). I figured that using the CD again was probably the easiest way to change these : wrong.

First time I didn't think about the CD process too much and used the default kernel - it stalled while waiting for udev events during the initscripts. A quick 'Doh, that's probably too old for skylake!!' and I retried with the alternate kernel. But that now always stalls at 'starting hwsetup'.

In the end I just booted it directly and fixed things up - a few admin mails for disk checks etc leaked out, but those have now bounced back to me from my ISP, so no harm done.

But I feel naked with out a working rescue CD! Thinking about this, the only things I changed were adding the ASM1062 card and a few drives, so I guess the card is the problem.

It's headline details are:

Code: Select all

01:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
        Subsystem: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

and it is using the ahci kernel driver on the running system.

That card has the CDROM, w hich is obviously working if I can get as far as the initscripts, and one of my RAID-1 drives (for data). Trying to debug/fix this will be a pain (the box now handles my list mail and runs backups for my desktops), but for the moment I have no idea where/how to approach this.

TFA, ĸen

gernot

Re: 4.7.3 fails to boot with ASM1062 (SATA) PCIe card

Postby gernot » 14 Jul 2016, 04:17

I dont understand the problem completely.

Work the minishell option to run a shell from initrd?
There is a kernel problem while mounting unformated drives in auto mode. Scanning for a UDF header read the complete drive...

Gernot

zarniwhoop

Postby zarniwhoop » 14 Jul 2016, 18:54

gernot wrote:I dont understand the problem completely.

Work the minishell option to run a shell from initrd?
There is a kernel problem while mounting unformated drives in auto mode. Scanning for a UDF header read the complete drive...

Gernot

I'll give the minishell option a try - need to read up on that first, and then find a convenient time to take the system down. Thanks.

The add-on card has the cdrom and a disk partitioned as linux RAID on GPT (it is bigger than 2TB), and the motherboard has two SSDs with linux partitions in an MBR, plus the other RAID/GPT disk - so no unformatted drives are present.

ĸen

zarniwhoop

Postby zarniwhoop » 24 Jul 2016, 01:12

Finally found time to try this again. But I cannot work out how to invoke minishell ?

4.7.3 continually fails to procede beyond 'starting hwsetup' (I only gave it about a minute these times).

Fortunately, I had an old 4.3.0 version of systemrescuecd and that boots without any problems, so I guess I will be using that if I need to use a rescue CD.

Return to “Boot problems”