I was building a new machine last week, using an i3 Skylake. To start with, I put a single drive in and booted successfully using the alternate kernel (64-bit). I then successfully used scp to partition, copy over a backup of the old system, and chroot to install grub. After that I booted it and built a new linuxfromscratch system.
But when I bought the machine I had what we on the old lfs-testers list used to call a brainfart - it is my new server, so it needs at least 4 drives for what I'm doing. This one has lots of space in the case, but only 4 SATA ports. So, I put an ASMedia ASM1062 (twin SATA) card in the PCIe slot and eventually moved both the CD and one of my RAID-1 drives to that.
All was good, but my initial build needed some things changing for a standalone server (it had been reading source tarballs etc over nfs from the old server, its hostname and IP address needed to be changed, postfix needed alteration). I figured that using the CD again was probably the easiest way to change these : wrong.
First time I didn't think about the CD process too much and used the default kernel - it stalled while waiting for udev events during the initscripts. A quick 'Doh, that's probably too old for skylake!!' and I retried with the alternate kernel. But that now always stalls at 'starting hwsetup'.
In the end I just booted it directly and fixed things up - a few admin mails for disk checks etc leaked out, but those have now bounced back to me from my ISP, so no harm done.
But I feel naked with out a working rescue CD! Thinking about this, the only things I changed were adding the ASM1062 card and a few drives, so I guess the card is the problem.
It's headline details are:
Code: Select all
01:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
Subsystem: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
and it is using the ahci kernel driver on the running system.
That card has the CDROM, w hich is obviously working if I can get as far as the initscripts, and one of my RAID-1 drives (for data). Trying to debug/fix this will be a pain (the box now handles my list mail and runs backups for my desktops), but for the moment I have no idea where/how to approach this.