(Solved) Reboot: Power Down (why?)

Post in this forum for problems at boot time, if there was no problem for burning the disc. For example can't find the CD, or strange errors when you press enter at the very first prompt.
An7ithe0s

(Solved) Reboot: Power Down (why?)

Postby An7ithe0s » 23 Sep 2015, 10:08

Sorry if similar thread was created before, but I couldn't find someone with this issue. So, first of all, I'm a newb and trying to dabble into Linux and just trying to install Funtoo, so don't kick me too much. I need SysRecCd to install Funtoo, but it refuses to boot on my old system. The kernel loads just fine on my new system. I'm thinking this has to do something with the difference in hardware or something, but I'm not sure of anything and cannot understand why it doesn't boot. Here's a video of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR69iy_92CY

I'm using Easy2Boot to boot the *.iso image, which is capable of booting Linux based stuff, and again, works fine on my new system the same way.

Also I assume this might be an issue with the processor.
New system processor: Intel Xeon E5450 3.00 GHz
Old system processor: Intel Celeron D 336 (I know, garbage)
Last edited by An7ithe0s on 23 Sep 2015, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

gernot

Re: Reboot: Power Down (why?)

Postby gernot » 23 Sep 2015, 13:51

try a sysresccd version which age match the machine better. e.g. 3.4.2

Also try to boot from a real device.

Gernot

An7ithe0s

Re: Reboot: Power Down (why?)

Postby An7ithe0s » 23 Sep 2015, 14:53

@gernot
Thanks for the reply, friend. It seems the computer was rebooting because of CPU overheat. Since it's an old system, later I thought it would be a good idea to analyze the hardware, even though it was just gathering dust in a corner of my room. What I forgot about is that the thermal paste was dried out, so I replaced it and now this issue weird occurs: http://i.imgur.com/xblT4BA.jpg
It seems the loader (or whatever you call it) doesn't like that I have two more USB ports that are not used. First it detects my mouse, then my 16gb flash drive, and then it just stops at "I found two more ports". Interesting...

Anyway, that issue is with version 4.6.0, and right now I'm going to try what you suggested, then I'll post again my results.

Other than that I also tested my RAM with memtest and it's okay (10 tests and no errors), and using Victoria I tested my good old 80 Gb Western Digital from my first PC, which also works fine.

--edit--
Success! Using v3.4.2 with a USB Drive + Easy2Boot worked like a charm. Еще раз спасибо, Брат. что помог в беде. =)
Last edited by An7ithe0s on 23 Sep 2015, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boot problems”