Please Help: Unable to remove GRUB 2 Boot

Post in this forum for problems at boot time, if there was no problem for burning the disc. For example can't find the CD, or strange errors when you press enter at the very first prompt.
Dan64

Please Help: Unable to remove GRUB 2 Boot

Postby Dan64 » 24 Aug 2015, 22:57

I have used "sysresccd-installer-2.0.0.exe" to create an USB stick containing "systemrescuecd-x86-4.5.4". To create the installation I have used as host a computer running Windows 8.1. The USB was created sucessfully and I was able to use it to fix some problems on another PC running Debian.

Now the big problem:

After using the utility "sysresccd-installer-2.0.0.exe", the host PC used to build the USB, boot in GRUB 2 instead of booting directly in Windows 8.1. I think that the problem is due to some side effect of creating the USB stick.

The BIG problem is that I'm unable to remove GRUB 2 and boot directly on Windows 8.1. I don't know where GRUB 2 has been installed. I have already tried all the suggested methods to fix the problem, but GRUB 2 is still the first bootloader.

I have already tried:

1) Running the following commands (in Windows recovery):

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

2) Running EasyBCD 2.2

here the output:

-------------------------------------------------
There is one entry in the Windows bootloader.

Default: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
-------------------------------------------------

The problem is that GRUB 2 start before the Windows bootloader.

PLEASE HELP because I don't know what to do and I don't want to reinstall all the PC.

Thanks

gernot

Re: Please Help: Unable to remove GRUB 2 Boot

Postby gernot » 25 Aug 2015, 04:30

bootrec /fixmbr is the right way.
I dont know why it fail.
Be sure that only one harddisk and no USB-Memory is in the system to modify the right MBR.

Gernot

Dan64

Postby Dan64 » 25 Aug 2015, 06:27

I also don't know why fixing the mbr doesn't works. I suspect the Grub2 is using the Uefi boot but I don't know how to check it.

gernot

Postby gernot » 25 Aug 2015, 16:00

yes, this is possible.

There are some links about uefi and grub:
http: //askubuntu.com/questions/304558/uninstalling-grub-from-uefi-laptop
http: //superuser.com/questions/460762/how-can-i-repair-the-windows-8-efi-bootloader

Gernot

Dan64

Postby Dan64 » 25 Aug 2015, 18:44

I have used grub rescue and executed the command "set", so I have discovered that it was trying to boot from (hd2, msdos3)/EFI/BOOT. So I have figurated out that the BIOS was using an UEFI entry to executed Grub.

I have entered in the BIOS setup and I have discovered in the boot sequence that the 1st boot was associated to a UEFI bootloader. Now I have changed the boot sequence and I have put the UEFI boot as last option. Now the PC boot directly in Windows 8.1.

I summary the MBR was OK, the problem was that the BIOS was configured to boot from a UEFI dos partion.
How this happen ?, what application has configured the BIOS in this way ?
I have just used the "sysresccd-installer-2.0.0.exe" to create a bootable USB stick. Could this be a bug ?

P.S.
The USB stick created in this way is working perfectly but is unable to boot in UEFI mode even if compare an entry in the boot menu that allow to boot from the USB stick in UEFI mode.

gernot

Postby gernot » 27 Aug 2015, 13:17

Yes look like a bug. In the link is a hint that grub rename the UEFI bootfile and replace it.

Gernot

Return to “Boot problems”