Cannot figure out what to do at "SystemRescueCD ppc root #

Post in this forum for problems at boot time, if there was no problem for burning the disc. For example can't find the CD, or strange errors when you press enter at the very first prompt.
samara2894

Cannot figure out what to do at "SystemRescueCD ppc root #

Postby samara2894 » 12 May 2015, 08:40

Hello everyone- I am trying to boot the live cd to the Linux GUI, and I get it to load through login(root) and password(blank), then I get a prompt that says "SystemRescueCD ppc root #". I apologize for being a newbie, but I do not know what to type at this prompt to get the GUI to load. I have tried every command I can think of, and I cannot find anything on the internet that tells me what to type in. I am using the ppc version, as I am trying to diagnose a powerbook g4 that freezes every time I try to install a ppc Linux distro(I have tried 3 different distros and 5 versions- same result). The original osx has been wiped out, and the Linux install on the HDD is un-bootable... I am trying to use systemrescuecd to diagnose the HDD and memory to see if either of those are the issue, as most people seem to have no problem with this particular notebook with Linux. I feel like this must be my own ignorance with Linux that I do not know what to do at this prompt. If I just hit "enter", I get the same prompt again. If I type in any command from the help menu, I get "bad command or file name", then the prompt again. I have not encountered this step before on other distros I have booted on other computers. I am trying to get the cd's built in Linux to load... there is no valid install of any os on the hard drive. I am obviously missing a simple step. Again, sorry for the stupidity- Can anyone steer me straight? Thanks.

gernot

Re: Cannot figure out what to do at "SystemRescueCD ppc root

Postby gernot » 12 May 2015, 11:12

try startx
or wizard

gernot

samara2894

Postby samara2894 » 12 May 2015, 14:27

Gernot, thank you for your suggestions. I tried both "startx" and "wizard" and got "-bash: startx: command not found", and "-bash: wizard: command not found". I had tried "startx" before. Any other ideas? Thanks.

samara2894

Postby samara2894 » 12 May 2015, 15:50

I am completely stumped. I have searched high and low on the internet for an answer, but nothing even comes close. The live cd will fully boot to a root prompt (#), and nothing I try after that will load the systemrescuecd's gentoo linux GUI. HELP!

gernot

Postby gernot » 13 May 2015, 08:38

Use you the old old PPC version of sysresccd?
This version was quitted log time ago. I think there was never X support.

Gernot

Return to “Boot problems”