Not able to grub-install

Post in this forum for problems at boot time, if there was no problem for burning the disc. For example can't find the CD, or strange errors when you press enter at the very first prompt.
fuz

Not able to grub-install

Postby fuz » 29 Jan 2015, 12:20

My setup is Ubuntu LTS 14.04 64 bit (fresh install) on a HP Proliant ML 150.

The box is 2009 with no UEFI boot support.
I have 4 SATA-HDs installed, all recognized by the system. All same size - 2TB each.
The disks all do have the same GPT - formatting:
- /dev/sdX1 = Partition type ef02 (bios_grub), size 1MiB, starting after the first free blocks which are usually left unused by gdisk / parted
- /dev/sdX2 = partition type raid auto detect
Those disks are formed for a software raid, level 5, no hot spare.
On top of the raid is a lvm2 sitting.

I am not able to install grub2 into only one partition.

What I did to archive that:
- Bootet with sysresccd
- assembled raid device
- checked raid is working (it is, with 1 disk removed (/dev/sdc2), but rest is active, sync)
- mounted /dev/mapper/vg_raid5-root (my root filesystem) to /mnt/custom
- provided environment for chroot
- chrooted into /mnt/custom
- mounted the other logical volumes to where they belong (not swap, which is also lv beside of tmp, var, home, root (alredy mounted))
- did grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
It starts installing (pc, not efi) but then gets errors about lvm metadata and also error about could not access device 'null'. In the end it says: Installation successfull. But wasn't.

Well I tried to erase lvm metadata using pvremove /dev/md0 --force --force, which actually seems to make what I want.
Repeated procudure... But still when I boot it just gets me to the grub rescue.

I have reinstalled over and over again, tweeked with partition design but no success.

I have been using linux for years and never had seen such a desaster. I try to fix this for days now, no way.

I read about the bios_grub partition - it is said it could be anywhere and would be found by bios (legacy) systems. The only thing I left out is to tell the partitioner (gdisk in my current setup) to start this partition at the very begining of the disk.
What am I doing wrong?

I will provide any system output which will be asked to clear things up if my description isn't enough.

The server needs to go productive any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.
-fuz

gernot

Re: Not able to grub-install

Postby gernot » 30 Jan 2015, 09:08

looks like grub can only access the bios_grub partition.
Think about a full boot partition.

Gernot

Return to “Boot problems”