Booting in blind mode :((

Post in this forum for problems at boot time, if there was no problem for burning the disc. For example can't find the CD, or strange errors when you press enter at the very first prompt.
dinopaolo

Booting in blind mode :((

Postby dinopaolo » 08 Nov 2014, 19:43

Booting 4.4.0 from CD on a HP computer with AMD A8-6500 APU with Radeon HD graphics, and 8GB RAM.

Start UEFI DVD
show GNU Grub 2.02 beta menu,
select default entry (but do not change with different selection)

error: not suitable video mode found
booting in blind mode

the screen switch to black and no way to recover except power down.
The CD start normally on a different PC.

Any suggestion?
Thanks

vanepp

Re: Booting in blind mode :((

Postby vanepp » 08 Nov 2014, 20:40

I've hit this before (but not in UEFI ). There is a grub2 command to display video modes from the grub rescue console (type c
at the menu prompt to get there) it knows about but I can't find it right now. Perhaps someone else will remember the command I mean :-). This web page does show up when I was looking for what I found before though:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR ... d.22_error

however I have never been able to make gfxpayload work with a rescue CD kernel but it may be a place to start. Good luck!

Peter Van Epp

skoehler

Postby skoehler » 12 Nov 2014, 15:39

I'm getting the exact same messages:
error: not suitable video mode found
booting in blind mode

My computer has an HP BIOS, an nvidia graphics card, and the onboard graphics are disabled.

Also, the nvidia graphics card does not seem to be supported by both kernel shipped with the latest systemrescuecd. I'm not getting any output.

I was under the impression, that there is something like an EFI framebuffer that Linux can use. That might work, but I'm not sure whether the kernels have support for it.

skoehler

Postby skoehler » 12 Nov 2014, 16:07

I have just tested the ubuntu 14.10 live cd. It also uses GRUB2 for EFI boot. Grub's videoinfo command didn't return any video modes when I was using systemrescuecd. But the grub on the ubuntu live cd returns all kinds of video modes, including 1920x1080. So something definitely wrong with systemrescuecd's grub.

I will be installing Gentoo on that machine, so I will soon be able to tell you whether Gentoo's grub can work.
(systemrescuecd is based on Gentoo)

Also, dmesg confirms that ubuntu's livecd is using the efifb (EFI framebuffer) for video output. It works great.

CarlJR

Postby CarlJR » 21 Dec 2014, 06:12

Same Error for Me on A GateWay NE Laptop also with AMD cpu and Radeon Graphics

Tried both versions 4.4.1 and also 4.4.0 tried burning on a CD as well as burning it to a flash drive and getting same error

Tried booting in disable KVM mode as suggested in another thread but error remains.

Please help!

boobab

Postby boobab » 21 Dec 2014, 08:12

Same error here as well. Booting in EFI mode on AMD Athlon 5350 APU. Developers, please fix this up. Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 04 Feb 2015, 10:07

Thanks for the bug report. This has been fixed in systemrescuecd-x86-4.5.1-beta004

Return to “Boot problems”