booting with grub from usb stick doesn't work with 0.3.0

Post in this forum for problems at boot time, if there was no problem for burning the disc. For example can't find the CD, or strange errors when you press enter at the very first prompt.
joze

booting with grub from usb stick doesn't work with 0.3.0

Post by joze » 28 Dec 2006, 15:47

Hello,

I booted former systemrescuecd's with grub w/o problems.
This doesn't work with neither 0.3.0 nor 0.3.1-beta5 any more.
My grub menu.lst looks like this:

Code: Select all

title fb1024       sysresccd 0.3.1-beta5
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=791 looptype=squashfs loop=/sysrcd.dat usbstick splash=silent nosound nokeymap                       
        initrd /vmlinuz1.igz
And the files vmlinuz1.igz vmlinuz1 and sysrcd.dat live in the root directory of the boot partition of the usb stick.

Diagnostics: the kernel boots up but doesn't find root block device.
The root block device is unspecified or not detected
boot() : :

I tried to add an empty file "livecd" in the root directory of the boot partition as suggested in another topic, but that didn't help.

As already said: booting this way with grub from an usb stick worked w/o problems with earlier versions of systemrescuecd.

Any ideas?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 28 Dec 2006, 17:10

A big part of the kernel options are missing. Here are options from the official syslinux.cfg:

append initrd=vmlinuz1.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=785 looptype=squashfs loop=/sysrcd.dat dokeymap splash=silent scandelay=10 cdroot=/dev/sd nosound
Then you should have the following code in grub:

title fb1024 sysresccd 0.3.1-beta5
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=785 looptype=squashfs loop=/sysrcd.dat dokeymap splash=silent scandelay=10 cdroot=/dev/sd nosound                    
        initrd /vmlinuz1.igz 
In other words, cdroot and scandelay are missing, usbstick has no sense anymore and the empty livecd file is not required.

joze

Post by joze » 28 Dec 2006, 21:56

thanks. Works perfectly.