Another Boot CD that Won't Boot

Post in this forum for problems at boot time, if there was no problem for burning the disc. For example can't find the CD, or strange errors when you press enter at the very first prompt.
mejohnsn

Another Boot CD that Won't Boot

Post by mejohnsn » 11 Jul 2006, 20:26

Since I was able to successfully make a bootable CD with CDBurnerXP Pro for Ubuntu, I tried CDBurnerXP Pro with SystemRescueCd.

Apparently, my first attempt got the files onto the CD in an ISO filesystem, but didn't make it bootable. So now I made sure that CD was made bootable. I was surprised that CDBurnerXP Pro defaulted to making it Win95 bootable, an option I _don't_ remember seeing with the Ubuntu success, but I changed it to make it WinXP bootable.

Yet even so, now when I boot it, after I enter the ROM password, I see the message, "Cannot load DOS! Any key to retry".

Of course, retrying gives the same message.

First mystery: why is it complaining about DOS? I told it to make it a WinXP/NT bootable, not DOS. Second mystery: I see many files show up in the filesystem, viewable either with CDBurnerXP Pro or with Windows Explorer, but when I try to open any of the text/html files on the CD, I get an error message.

So, for example, when I try to open usbstick.htm using TextPad, I get "An unknown error occured while accessing USBSTICK.HTM".

Of course the main mystery is, "why won't it boot?"

Finally, I am running WinXP Home Edition 2002 SP2 CDBurnerXP Pro Freeware V3, I burned the ISO image 'systemrescuecd-x86-0.2.19.iso'.

prisley

BootingNot

Post by prisley » 02 Jan 2007, 18:03

I just downloaded and burned a iso on a windowns xp laptop. I had to do that because I only have access to a fast connection at the local coffee shop and my desktop is not portable.

Then I tried to boot my new (6.06 ubuntu) linux and it will not boot from the cd.

Is it because I downloaded and burned with the evil Windows xp system?

Let me know please.

When I get my desktop working under Linux and it is stable and I can make backups etc then I off windowns on the laptop. That is why this question is important.

Peter

prisley

got iso to boot

Post by prisley » 05 Jan 2007, 06:18

I had to get a program to make the iso image into the associated files on the disc that was to be burnt and also to put the bootable files on so that the program would boot the computer.

And because the only machine I had at hand to download the app to do it was an win xp laptop, I had to do this in windowns. the program I found to do it was cdburner xp pro 3. Its free and works better than sonic or Nero. So now I go on to the next step which is learning how to burn a backup on the dvd and restoring it including with the partitions. Which I am a little confused about.

Progress at last.

If you can not get the cd to boot take a look at your cd/dvd burning apps. If your using window xp than give cdburner xp pro 3 a look see.
Peter

prisley

got iso to boot

Post by prisley » 05 Jan 2007, 06:19

I had to get a program to make the iso image into the associated files on the disc that was to be burnt and also to put the bootable files on so that the program would boot the computer.

And because the only machine I had at hand to download the app to do it was an win xp laptop, I had to do this in windowns. the program I found to do it was cdburner xp pro 3. Its free and works better than sonic or Nero. So now I go on to the next step which is learning how to burn a backup on the dvd and restoring it including with the partitions. Which I am a little confused about.

Progress at last.

If you can not get the cd to boot take a look at your cd/dvd burning apps. If your using window xp than give cdburner xp pro 3 a look see.
Peter