Locales and unicode usage are broken - THE SOLUTION

You can report problems, make suggestions, about the new BETA versions in this forum. For stuff related to final releases, please post a message in other forums
Sap

Locales and unicode usage are broken - THE SOLUTION

Postby Sap » 10 Feb 2015, 09:59

Last edited by Sap on 16 Feb 2015, 14:25, edited 2 times in total.

Sap

Re: Locales and unicode usage are broken

Postby Sap » 10 Feb 2015, 12:44

Even with generated locales unicode doesn't work. And it's impossible to type national characters in console (as in local, as in remote).
I can't event understand how it is possible to completely broke unicode support in Gentoo.

Sap

Postby Sap » 11 Feb 2015, 14:57

Seems like some core libraries are compiled without unicode support, because there is no unicode support in 'readline' function.

Sap

Postby Sap » 12 Feb 2015, 11:22

In the new version is goes better, but it still lacks of locales. Non-ACSII file names are still broken and programs can't process non-ASCII data.

Sap

Postby Sap » 16 Feb 2015, 14:24

THE SOLUTION:
POSIX.UTF-8 and en_EN.UTF-8 locales have to be generated and added to the squashfs (/usr/lib/locale).
The "en_EN.UTF-8" locale seems to be present in the squashfs now, but something is wrong with it - has been taken from the wrong glibc version?
And I suppose that add as archive ('locale-archive') is better way than unpacked folders (as it is supposed to do now).
And also I am pretty sure, that those two locales should be added to the initrd image as well because SysRCD can do the initialization process in a very tricky way which may require access to UTF-8 data (like filesystem paths etc).
Also it would be a good idea to add a line with "POSIX.UTF-8 UTF-8" and uncomment "en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8" in the "/etc/locale.gen" file.
I tested this solution on the current stable release and it takes away all issues with unicode and internationalization.
I don't know how to write a suggestion to SysRCd maintainers and hope they read this message and will add "POSIX.UTF-8" and "en_EN.UTF-8" to the list of pre-generated locales.

Return to “Beta versions (report a bug found in a beta)”