Problem with login on a HDD Installation [OK, other pb now]

You can report problems, make suggestions, about the new BETA versions in this forum. For stuff related to final releases, please post a message in other forums
redvivi

Problem with login on a HDD Installation [OK, other pb now]

Postby redvivi » 30 Dec 2006, 22:50

Hello :mrgreen: !

I have a problem with SystemRescueCD, i installed it on my HDD (i followed the tutorial), and there is 2 problems:

-First, when it's written loading sysresccd, it makes 50 seconds to begin to boot (from "loading sysresccd" to "loading sysresccd..............................................."), it takes a long time ! Is there a problem ? i tried to go down delay (from lilo.conf) from 50 to 10 but it doesnt change anything :cry:?

-Secondly, i can't login. When i have the prompt login/pwd, i tried root with no password and it fails ! what is the correct login/password ?

Thanks !
Last edited by redvivi on 03 Jan 2007, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 30 Dec 2006, 23:06

Strange behaviour: what tutorial did you follow ? You should use the easy install tutorial, since it has been tested with the latest version. There is no login prompt, and I don't understand how it may happen. About the delay: it is not supposed to be so long to start. Please, check all the parameters in the boot manager.

redvivi

Postby redvivi » 30 Dec 2006, 23:11

I followed this tutorial:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-fr_Comment_installer_le_SystemRescueCd_sur_le_disque_dur

i'm going to try the easy tutorial. Thanks.

redvivi

Postby redvivi » 30 Dec 2006, 23:52

There is some new problem, i followed the easy setup.

This is my lilo.conf (linux partition is mounted on /mnt/hda2):

image=/mnt/hda2/sysrcd/vmlinuz1
root=/dev/ram0
initrd=/mnt/hda2/sysrcd/vmlinuz1.igz
label=SysRescCd
vga=5
append="root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=5
looptype=squashfs loop=/sysrcd/sysrcd.dat
splash=silent nosound subdir=sysrcd
cdroot=/dev/hda2 setkmap=fr"

I would create a lilo.conf with a windows XP NTFS partition on hda1, what have i to write in lilo.conf ? And how to run lilo ?

Thanks!

ps:Sorry i'm newbie in Linux

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 31 Dec 2006, 09:19

Hi, we can't have things such as "/dev/hda2/sysresccd/". "/dev/hda2" is the device name, and "/sysresccd/vmlinuz1 " is the path. The device "/dev/hda2" must be mounted on "/sysresccd". And you must not keep the end of lines as said in the easy install manual.

redvivi

Postby redvivi » 31 Dec 2006, 12:39

fdupoux wrote:Hi, we can't have things such as "/dev/hda2/sysresccd/"

This is strange, i wrote "/mnt/hda2/sysresccd/" and not "/dev/hda2/sysresccd/" ?? In the manual, i have to write the mount point at the time i run lilo (this is not /mnt/something ?)

"/dev/hda2" is the device name, and "/sysresccd/vmlinuz1 " is the path. The device "/dev/hda2" must be mounted on "/sysresccd". And you must not keep the end of lines as said in the easy install manual.

If i want to mount the device, i must create a directory in /mnt and mount the device into, no ? i haven't understood what you said for the end of lines (i read the manual again).

And, what have i to do for Windows XP ? And how to run lilo on the correct device ?

Thanks very much.
Redvivi

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 31 Dec 2006, 13:15

Please read the manual of the mount command (man mount) and try to find examples of valid lilo.conf files with google. Try "man lilo.conf too"

redvivi

Postby redvivi » 02 Jan 2007, 13:54

Finally, 2 days later, after a lot of tries, i corrupted my MBR (i don't know how i have done this!) ! I was unable to boot on any OS (maybe a problem with lilo.conf, maybe grub could be easier for me ?)

However, i had created a partition image with partimage, after recovered the whole partition, i couldn't boot ! I supposed partimage doesnt restore any MBR, surprizing me...

So i tried the option "Restore MBR from image file" ! Unfortunatly i had an error
Unable to read block 0 of xxx from image file !
(known bug ?), in my disaster, i booted with Windows XP Setup CD and fixed MBR with the Recovery Console. After that, i wonder if i will try to use Lilo again but i would understand.

So just some questions: In lilo.conf you have to specify the map file and install file, but where find these files ? which paths i have to enter in lilo.conf exactly (with a /dev/hda2 device and the 3 files of the easy tutotial copied on) ? I suppose they were in sysrcd.dat, so i extracted the file with the script on my hdd and filled the parameters in lilo.conf, but it seems it doesnt work at all..

I found them in the full tutorial (after extracting sysresccd.dat) but not in the easy tutorial (so what i have to do) ? what's the mount-point's name of the device on i want to install sysresccd (we can't choose anything with the lilo.conf given in example in the easy tutorial) ? which mount-points u had to create ? The right command to install lilo is
lilo -C /mount-point-on-the-device-where-install-sysresccd/etc/lilo.conf
(i think this corrupted the MBR) ?, i don't know, i followed the 2 tutorials, read some examples of lilo.conf, in conclusion, lilo and i failed to install sysresccd on USB HDD...

Thanks,
Redvivi

redvivi

Postby redvivi » 03 Jan 2007, 00:04

Ok, i solved the problem, i made a mix of the 2 tutorials and all works ! Thanks fdupoux, but the problem with the looong boot (see my 1st post) is always here !

This is what appears on the screen:

Loading sysresccd......................................................
BIOS Data check successful

There is 50 seconds between
Loading sysresccd
and
Loading sysresccd......................................................
BIOS Data check successful

I had a look at my BIOS setup, but i don't know what is the origin of the problem

PS: When i installed lilo, a message told me that the image (or something like that) is too large for 15 MB hole ?

Thanks,
RedVivi

Return to “Beta versions (report a bug found in a beta)”