Feed-back about new 0.3-beta version

You can report problems, make suggestions, about the new BETA versions in this forum. For stuff related to final releases, please post a message in other forums
Szpak

Postby Szpak » 18 Dec 2006, 20:09

fdupoux wrote:I just added htop and p7zip for next version. htop is really a nice tool.

I think that too.

Btw, I don't know why, but there is in "stable" gentoo only version 0.6.2 of htop. It was released almost a half year ago. Current version is 0.6.5. There have been few bugfixes since 0.6.2.
Maybe you could "risk" and use version from "testing" tree?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 18 Dec 2006, 20:46

Hi,

I always use gentoo stable (x86) packages, except when I really need a very up to date package for major features (such as GParted, Ntfs3g, ...). Of course I could force this package to last version if it is in testing (~x86) but I usually don't do that for minor packages.

Anyway, I won't update htop before 0.3.0 since it is in ReleaseCandidate state, and I will only make changes if there is an important problem in the current RC2.

Thanks.
Francois

franckd

Keybord problems and others

Postby franckd » 20 Dec 2006, 13:55

systemrescuecd-0.3-rc2

I am using french keyboard.

1 I think the timeout for keyboard choice is too small. It should be at least 10 minutes instead of 10 secondes to permit not staying in front of the machine when booting. Is it mandatory to get a timeout at this point ?

2 I choose the FR keyboard (16).
Under X, The "Alt Gr" Keys don't work properly.
It is impossible to type : "|\][{}@~#...."

3 Under X, it is not possible to switch to a console (typing CTRL + ALT + F3 for example)

4 Under X, you have to launch the applications by "double clic" instead of "simple clic" on their icons.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 20 Dec 2006, 14:22

1) About the timeout
A lof ot people just want an US keyboard and if I remove the timeout, they will have to stay in front of the computer to type "us". The best thing to do for you is to start the system with "fb1024 setkmap=fr" or make a customized version with this option by default.

2) keyboard and xorg
I have a french keyboard and no problem with Alt+Gr. I have a very simple PS/2 keyboard with no extra features (bought 5€ in carrefour). What's yours ? May you try to start with "fb1024 setkmap=fr" and test under Xorg again ?

3) About Ctlr + Alt Fx
That's right, I will have a look at this

4) double-click
I hate programs that are runs with simple clics. You always start programs that you don't want to run and you must wait 30 seconds and close it. If you have a double-click you loose 1 second each time. And I made no particular choice. I just use the defaults WindowMaker settings.

franckd

Keyboard Problems

Postby franckd » 20 Dec 2006, 15:32

Thanks.

2) keyboard and xorg
When I start with "fb1024 setkmap=fr" instead of choosing keyboard number 16 later, it works for me too. Maybe a bug in the keyboard selection with numbers.

3) About Ctlr + Alt + Fx
When I start with "fb1024 setkmap=fr" instead of choosing keyboard number 16 later, this problem disappears and "Ctrl+Alt+Fx" works properly.

dbs

Boot from USB works

Postby dbs » 21 Dec 2006, 00:16

Just downloaded the latest beta, copied it to my Kingston Traveler 512MB USB key and ran syslinux. It enabled my IBM Thinkpad T60 to boot from the USB key as expected. Thanks!

arnova

Postby arnova » 21 Dec 2006, 07:47

fdupoux wrote:1) About mdrun:
The mdadm package did not change. There was no mdrun in beta2. mdrun has been deprecated. Please use mdadm instead.

2) About halt -p
I added the APM support in the kernel in my recent build. It allows the computer to power off. You will have this feature in beta5.

Didn't now mdrun was removed, thanks for pointing that out. The APM support works nice here. I just tried the latest rc, and it's *almost* perfect.

Here are the last suggestions/issue's I have:

- Why is dhcpcd disabled now at boottime? This was a really nice feature (instant network support), I would really like to have it back.

- It would be very nice that when one issue's "halt" or "reboot" that before actually performing the final halt or reboot, one gets the chance to eject the CD (Knoppix style). Could this be implemented.

- It would be great if the rescue CD would have to latest WIP-version (1.40-WIP) of e2fsprogs, as it contains a lot of important fixes for filesystem corruption. That's one of the reason why Debian-etch adopted this version too. You can get it from http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ ... rig.tar.gz

franckd

tar problem

Postby franckd » 21 Dec 2006, 08:33

This simple command does not work for me :
tar -xvzf <nom de fichier>
It seems that the "-f" option is not recognized.

franckd

tar problem

Postby franckd » 21 Dec 2006, 09:27

In fact the 'tar' command links to '/usr/bin/star'.
It should run '/bin/tar'
The 'star' command is much slower to extract from file and does not support the same options that the original 'tar' command.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 21 Dec 2006, 11:55

Thanks for having reported this problem. I will fix it in version 0.3.1-beta1.

Return to “Beta versions (report a bug found in a beta)”