Feed-back about new 0.3-beta version

You can report problems, make suggestions, about the new BETA versions in this forum. For stuff related to final releases, please post a message in other forums
arnova

Postby arnova » 14 Dec 2006, 11:11

fdupoux wrote:arnova, could you test the new ISO (20061213-18h29.iso) ? I send you the URL by personal message. With this new version, you can add option "noxdetect":
Example: fb1024 noxdetect
It will disable the autoconfiguration of X.org

I will try this tonight (need my home computer to test it).

I've also some additional suggestions / issue's I encountered
- create directory for mounting floppies -> /mnt/floppy
- (re)create temp directory for mounting -> /mnt/temp
- add fstab entry for mounting floppies or use autofs to mount floppies
- it would be nice to have ntpdate as well
- mdrun script (part of mdadm package) is missing

Especially having "Better" floppy support would be quite nice as I use floppies quite often, and now I have to manually create a directory, manually mount it etc.... (I'm quite lazy ;-))

Thanks!

arnova

Postby arnova » 14 Dec 2006, 15:34

fdupoux wrote:arnova, could you test the new ISO (20061213-18h29.iso) ? I send you the URL by personal message. With this new version, you can add option "noxdetect":
Example: fb1024 noxdetect
It will disable the autoconfiguration of X.org

Well, it seems that this new version just works -> no more hangs when loading the agpgart module. However I was wondering whether one actually *really* need agpgart support for the X-server, as far as I know you don't (only used for AGP accelaration). So maybe we don't need it at all, as this simply is a rescue CD.

Another issue I discovered (next to the ones I described in my post above): when one runs "halt" to halt the system, the system hangs at "Remounting remaining filesystems readonly". I suspect this was by design, but one would expect a message like "System halted". Also CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work anymore at this stage...
Last edited by arnova on 14 Dec 2006, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

LarryT

Postby LarryT » 14 Dec 2006, 16:29

Yes, like arnova said, i have twice seen that ,

Code: Select all

halt -p
failed, but i dont remember where it stopped :-[

PS : yes i just gave it a try : it stops at the same point like arnova said, and nothing but reset is avaible.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 14 Dec 2006, 21:28

1) About the halt / shutdown problem:
It's strange there is no message. I added echo in script in order to see what script was executed, and everythings goes as it should be. There is no failure that block the shutdown to continue. I simply added a message in /etc/init.d/shutdown.sh that says we can turn off the computer.

2) About agpgart
I don't understand what happens. There is no agpgart module on the disk, and in the kernel configuration file, I have no option with this name enabled. Maybe the freeze occured after the system cannot find any AGPgart optimization module and the freeze is done by another part of mkxf86config. I don't know what to do with this problem now.

3) I released beta4
It has new ntfs-3g (20061212 instead of 20061115), GParted device list has been cleaned (it ensure it can read a sector on a device before it takes this devices in its list) and the option "noxdetect" is available to everybody. I also added net-misc/ntp (time protocol) and several small changes.

LarryT

reiserfs : Unable to read fs

Postby LarryT » 15 Dec 2006, 06:19

Hi :)
Have used GParted to create reiserfs partition, but i get an exclamation mark on the fresh created partition : when double-clicking it, i get this message saying the system is unable to read the contains of the partition : i guess it may miss some deps ...
Screenshot may be found there :
http://www.fr.laurent.freesurf.fr/reiserfs.jpg

Adding that halt -p returns error :

Code: Select all

zsh exec format error

LarryT

Postby LarryT » 15 Dec 2006, 10:36

Screenshot about halt -p :
http://www.fr.laurent.freesurf.fr/halt_p.jpg
*Must* add that it is exactly the same with iso burnt to a cd, on both AMD and Asus MB
Just forget it.

LarryT

Postby LarryT » 15 Dec 2006, 10:59

still about halt -p :
something new and really weird :
trying on ASUS MB (intel) :
The command swith off the hard rives but not the cpu nore cdrom !!

After all, i think it surely comes from acpi or something like that !

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 15 Dec 2006, 11:46

The kernel does not supports APM (Advanced Power Management) and ACPI. I removed ACPI supports since we may have a lot of problems with that.

In beta4 you can't see the new message "You can turn off your computer". I added this message in a more recent version.

Then, the system just ask the hard drive to shutdown (you can do it by hand with hdparm) but since there is no APM support, your computer (cpu + cdrom) is not switched off.

EnglishRob

Postby EnglishRob » 15 Dec 2006, 12:06

Just given the new Beta 4 a try. It works well, detected the hardware okay (hard drive, video card, network). I have just used it to recover 2GB of data from someone's laptop.

I tried X as well, this ran fine without any problems. I haven't had much chance to play around with this bit yet but I'm sure it'll be useful.

Great work! :-)

Rob

arnova

mdrun / temp mount dirs

Postby arnova » 15 Dec 2006, 12:40

Nice version this beta4. Works quite well. Only thing I'm still puzzled about is why in this version doesn't have "mdrun" shipped with it, like version 2 did. Is there a particular reason for this?

And still it would be nice to have some temp1,temp2 etc. directories back in /mnt/

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 15 Dec 2006, 13:42

1) About mdrun:
The mdadm package did not change. There was no mdrun in beta2. mdrun has been deprecated. Please use mdadm instead.

2) About halt -p
I added the APM support in the kernel in my recent build. It allows the computer to power off. You will have this feature in beta5.

Szpak

Postby Szpak » 15 Dec 2006, 21:57

Two more suggestions. about software.

There is a port of 7-zip (compressor with very high compression ratio) for Posix systems - p7zip. Many people use it as a replacement for bzip2 in backup operations.

Second tool is htop, which shows informations about system. In my opinion it shows more credible information, has more comfortable mechanism for process killing and is absolutely more colorful ;)

Marcin

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 15 Dec 2006, 22:38

Ok, I will have a look at these two packages (too late for beta5).

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 15 Dec 2006, 22:40

I released beta5
It has now APM support in the kernel. You can do "halt" and the computer power off. The is no longer need for the empty "livecd" file in the ISO and for USB devices. I disabled dhcpcd by default in /etc/init.d/autoconfig

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 16 Dec 2006, 11:51

I just added htop and p7zip for next version. htop is really a nice tool.

Return to “Beta versions (report a bug found in a beta)”