Cannot Install System Rescue CD Onto a USB-Stick

Post there if you have problem when downloading the iso, or burning it.
Voder

Cannot Install System Rescue CD Onto a USB-Stick

Postby Voder » 19 Apr 2013, 14:42

I tried two different methods, without success, to install systemrescuecd-x86-3.5.0.iso onto a 1 GB USB-stick using a system running Ubuntu 11.04.

Following the instructions in "Sysresccd-manual-en How to install SystemRescueCd on an USB-stick", usb_inst.sh managed to write a MBR on the stick but, when it came time to copy files it wouldn't do so because the drive was unmounted (or mounted, I forget which) or had no space on it. In any case it had detected incorrect information. I gave up.

Following the instructions in the mini-How-To: http://www.sysresccd.org/Howto_install-usb-stick I managed to proceed to the point of copying files from the iso image to the usb, but the first file on the list was not in the iso image. The command:

# cp /mnt/iso/syslinux/syslinux.cfg /mnt/usb/

could not be executed because there was no syslinux subdirectory or syslinux.cfg file in the iso image.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

gernot

Re: Cannot Install System Rescue CD Onto a USB-Stick

Postby gernot » 19 Apr 2013, 15:28

There is a other way for USB install.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manu ... _USB-stick
Make sure that ubuntu don't automount the device. Be root.

Gernot

Voder

Postby Voder » 19 Apr 2013, 21:34

gernot wrote:There is a other way for USB install.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manu ... _USB-stick
Make sure that ubuntu don't automount the device. Be root.

Gernot

Thanks for your response. As I mentioned above, this is the first method I tried. Although the script found the USB devices on my computer, I couldn't get it to write files on it. It did write a MBR. It wouldn't write files because the drive was "mounted, cannot use". I used the disk utility to unmount it, with the same result. More importantly (possibly) the available space on the drive was zero. Maybe it allocated the whole drive for the MBR, leaving no room for a partiton, I don't know and don't know how to find out.

V

gernot

Postby gernot » 20 Apr 2013, 07:41

The message "mounted, cannot use" looks like it is automounted again...
Try "mount" to check this.
If the device is mounted unmount it manual: "sudo umount /dev/sdb1" (if /dev/sdb is your device).

Best way in your case is to boot from any SYSRCD and run the installer from it.

Gernot

Voder

Postby Voder » 29 Apr 2013, 03:28

gernot wrote:The message "mounted, cannot use" looks like it is automounted again...
Try "mount" to check this.
If the device is mounted unmount it manual: "sudo umount /dev/sdb1" (if /dev/sdb is your device).

Best way in your case is to boot from any SYSRCD and run the installer from it.

Gernot

I burned the .iso image to a CD, booted System Rescue CD; inserted USB flashdrive. Located USB_inst.sh
in /livemnt/boot/ subdirectory; ran it, without error.

The newly-created USB successfully booted System Rescue CD on a computer which identified it as a "USB flashdrive",
but failed to boot on the computer on which it was created, although it was identified and listed in the boot-up sequence.
Seemingly, no attempt to boot from the flashdrive; went directly to GRUB.

Still another computer identified it as a USB RMD-FDD, seemed to try to boot from it but got errors:

"Error: No configuration file found.
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
boot:"

So, partial victory I guess. It will boot on some computers. Would be nice to know why it won't boot on others.

In any case, thanks for your help.

V

gernot

Postby gernot » 29 Apr 2013, 04:04

Many old BIOS are broken. In this case i start the PLOP bootloader from Floppy or CD. This loader can boot from USB without BIOS support.

Gernot

Return to “Downloading and burning”